Hey all,
Welcome to the latest edition of my blog. So what has been going on with me recently. Well I am (was - i'll come to that in a minute) at 8 weeks into my training plan. things have been progressing along nicely, and i have been building a good level of fitness and strength.
As previously mentioned I have been going through the TT versus new wheels debate. I finally opted for a Planet X Stealth rival with carbon clinchers. I went off to Rotherham to pick up the bike and have a retul bike fit. I found the Planet X guys really helpful and the fit was definitely worth the travel.
I took the bike out for a run on the weekend and adopted a policy of 5 mins in aero and a coupe not. I managed to get in a 33 mile ride in a couple of hours. Not particularly fast but the ride was more about getting used to the bike. The chainring set up is 53/39 on a 10 speed rear cog. The bike is clearly powerful and once I have got used to it i am sure I will fly. I must admit to feeling battered after my first ride but to be expected using those new muscles. The Stealth is a really light bike and felt responsive, albeit I only have my Defy 2 to compare against. All in all, i am very happy.......
Right so onto the more pertinent issue I have had recently which has been my knee. After few weeks of to'ing and fro'ing between the Nuffield and my immunologist (I have a blood disorder that gets doctors worried as they know little about it) in Birmingham I finally had the date for my knee operation, 28th Feb. A few weeks later than I had hoped, but according to the plan 4 weeks out, minor op, should be ok for IMUK. Gotta keep thinking positive.....
So I turned up on Thursday, and got told off by the nurse as I didn't bring a dressing gown or slippers. Must remember to read those books they give you. In my defence though it was my first op.......
After some more to'ing and fro'ing, this time from the Anaesthetist checking up on me, asking whether I wanted a general or a spinal (General please.......) I was whisked off to theatre.
It didn't take long for the general to kick in and the next thing I realise I am being woken up. The operation was successful, and there were no complications from my blood disorder (which could have been additional swelling around the knee or throat from the tube inserted).......
........But I have a small tear in my meniscus which I knew about previously but wasn't going to be operated on. Upon further investigation during the op the surgeon decided to pierce the area multiple times to get blood flowing and put a stitch in, as it wasn't healing very well.
I have been bitten by a vampire.....
This means extra time off, so 6 weeks now, on very light duties, with no swimming, biking or running.
He also advised that I had to cancel the IM for this year as the tear was quite bad and needed time to heal correctly. I have a poorly rotating hip which is putting extra load onto my knee which is a concern and needs sorting.
So no Wombourne Tri, no Plymouth Half marathon race against my nephew, No Bala Middle, and no Ironman, for this year (I am gutted not to be able to see this through with a great bunch of people entering this year)......... Time to move on and focus on getting better, and back to fitness, hopefully stronger and fitter. It's not the end of the world....... but these 6 weeks will seem like an eternity i'm sure. I've just got to make sure that i'm not too much of a pain in the arse to those around me! I'm bad enough normally ;) oh and mustn't put too much weight on!
I have spoken to the rotary foundation and they will carry forward my IMUK fundraising to next year too so that is a bonus.
Anyway I will sign off now. Good luck to you all over the next few months and hopefully i'll see you out on a bike, or running up Haughmond soon enough but i'll certainly be out supporting here and there....
This is going to be one long Ironman Journey...........
Paul


No comments:
Post a Comment