Hey everyone!
I thought I would write a blog so people can share the next 10 months of training, highs and low's as I embark on a mission to complete an Ironman.
I will be taking part in IMUK in Bolton, and travelling a distance of 140.6 miles, made up of a 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike ride, and a 26.2 mile run.
As I contemplate muttering those words " I am in training for an Ironman", I get in that "last packet of crisps or that last beer session" I find myself thinking about my achilles heel, so rightly pointed out by my wife today, which is crisps, chocolate, Pizza & Beer.
Amy went on to say that she has no doubt I will do the required training but she doubts whether I can ditch the bad habits that seem to taint my bid to be a better runner, or a better triathlete.
I have it set in my mind what I need to do, I have read the nutrition books, and the training plans, I know I need to eat wholemeal grains, sweet potato, broccoli and veg etc, and we do, but I keep getting drawn back to the beer, crisps & Pizza. That drinking session that means I don't train for 3 days.
These are habits that need to be contained, so I have made the decision, whilst my pre ironman training is starting now the real kick will come in the new year as I make sacrifices never before made....
Iromnan becomes a way of life, you have to get your life right for it, which means plenty of sleep, eating lots of food of the desired quality, not missing training for 3 days, if it's raining, still getting on that bike and cycling for 5 hours. Getting up at half 4 or 5 am to get in the training before the kids wake up and I head off to work.
This is going to be one hell of a ride, and a challenge second to none and I can't wait to get the ball rolling. So that is it for now.
I am racing on behalf of the Rotary foundation and I will be arranging some charity events along the way too, the first of which will be a 12 hour Spinathon in January, with details to be released shortly of the date and venue. I have secured the talents of good friend Matt Wedderkop to drive us through the 12 hours and I will be inviting all my friends, colleagues triathletes, runners, mothers and fathers to come and join us for an hour slot to help support this cause. I would also like to thank all of you who have pledged so far, with Justgiving and my work swearbox I have raised circa £130 already so that's excellent.
Anyway I'll say by for now, and hopefully I haven't bored you. I'll re post in a couple of weeks.
PJ
IMUK
SYtri
PJ's Justgiving Page
The Shrewsbury Club
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete